Monday, December 12, 2016

Keep It Simple, Sweetheart

"Keep it simple, sweetheart."

That was the gentle reminder I felt this morning as I sat with my coffee and watched the pink sky brighten. That whatever ways I may feel like I'm failing, the things I think I should be doing but I'm not, the chores and tasks that are never really done, He is bigger. His love covers. 

As an independent, I'll-do-it-all-myself kind of person, pregnancy and postpartum is hard, because I can't do it all. It's hard to ask for help. It's hard to justify resting and taking care of myself when so much gets left undone. It's easy to feel like maybe I'm just being lazy and I really should be doing more. It's easy to feel like I'm failing my kids because I haven't managed to get us to church the last few months. 

Going to church is a good thing. A clean house is a good thing. The things I'd like to get done are good things. But none of those are the most important thing. Love is. Loving God. Loving myself. Loving my family. 

Right now, this is a season. A season of resting in the midst of the chaos. A season of slowness and simplicity. A season to give myself grace while I focus on being present and choosing love.

Because, in reality, I just need to keep it simple. I don't need to do it all. It doesn't all depend on me. God's got it. He holds my children in His hands. I can ask others for help. I can let go of my worries, perfectionism, and performance, and I can rest in Him.

I simply need to remember these two thoughts: 
His yoke is easy, His burden is light, and He gives me rest. (Matthew 11:28-30) 
and
Everything boils down to love God and love people. (Matthew 22:37-39) 

Keep it simple, sweetheart.

No comments:

Post a Comment