Sunday, February 1, 2015

The Whole 30: Day 4

Four days in. My meals are a routine, just using up the items that I bought. I plan to try some new things next time I go shopping and use some new recipes. It's good to try new things, right? Send me suggestions if you have any!

The good:

I don't feel guilty about anything that I am eating in terms of nutrition or toxic ingredients. My boys are also eating more prepared meals and less things out of a box, although they still reject most of what I'm eating. At least they're getting some of it!

I've had more time to invest in various things have have been going undone. Yesterday, I worked on completing my doula certification by revising my resource list and writing the first draft of the essay required on the topic of "The Purpose and Value of Labor Support." Feels good to have that done! I also was drawn to the Dave Ramsey materials we borrowed from my parents ages ago. I skimmed through Financial Peace Revisited as a refresher, and then I sat and read through The Total Money Makeover yesterday and today. A few years back, we got started on the "baby steps" and at some point lost steam and got off track. I'm feeling really motivated on that now, and so I've been talking with my husband about going hard after paying off our debt and following the rest of those baby steps! I've caught the vision again and I'm feeling inspired by all the success stories!

The hard:

Cravings.... Bread. Sugar. More sugar... The first day or two, I was craving salty things like chips. Now I'm mostly craving sugary treats. I read recently that cravings only last for three to five minutes, and it seems fairly accurate. If I just ignore it and lock into what I'm doing, I tend to forget, because I'm not actually hungry.

I've also noticed my sugar cravings are strongly tied to my emotions. I am an emotional eater. Feeling sad or upset? I would like some chocolate with that or maybe ice cream! Hopefully, that particular bad habit will be gone after these thirty days.


Overall, this is hard, but worth it. I'm learning meal planning and how to incorporate more whole foods into my diet and hopefully into my family's diets as well. For the sake of our long term health, this is a necessary change. I'm resetting my time-spending and turning it into time-investments. I'm also dealing more directly with my emotions and going to my true Comforter, instead of covering by finding comfort in sugary treats.

Twenty six days to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment